Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Life and Times

Wow! It's been forever since blogged. Such shameful behaviour.




Anyhoo...In the last month or so, 3 of my friends have gotten engaged and this past weekend two friends (making up one couple) got married. Besides being filled with happiness almost everyday, the other big emotion I'm feeling is anxiety.

This morning, while chatting to some of my girls, it hit us that our 10 year high school reunion is next year (eeeek!!!)...and out of the 4 of us that are still very close, NONE of us are married and NONE of us have children. In fact, barring one "it's complicated" situation, we're all very single. 26/27...with no imminent plans to change either situations.

I'm grateful for the fact that none of us have children, because I don't think any of us are ready. That said, I know that upon having babies, many of my friends have grown up and fulfilled the roles to near perfection. But for as long as we are childless - being children ourselves, I feel, in our outlook and inexperience - I am grateful.

The angst, however, sets in with the SINGLE part of the equation. I can't help but look at my beautiful, capable, highly intelligent females friends and wonder where we're going wrong. Several times a week I'm asked the [ridiculous] question: "Why are you single?" Firstly, there is no normal answer to that question...but more importantly, I don't know what the answer is. People (read: men) ask, are you too fussy? And even though my knee-jerk reaction has been "No"...now I'm wondering: a. Is there such a thing as too fussy; and b. Am I?

I know I have high standards: I was raised to want only the best, but is there such a thing as abnormally high when it comes to a life partner? Is it a problem that I want a smart, relatively handsome (see, I've already compromised), ambitious, kind, chivalrous, TALL man? Is that unrealistic? Honestly? I never thought so, but maybe that explains my many years of singleness (is that a word? Maybe being single is making me stupid!)

In all honesty, I'm just questioning if it might be me that's the problem. I think I need to do some work on myself before I can accept the right person's love. But that's applicable to ME... what's everyone else's reason? ALL my friends can't need work and we definitely don't have daddy issues. So maybe it is pure "fussiness". We know what we want and we're not willing to settle for any less.

Until then, I guess it's me and the girls, hanging out, having fun. Here's to Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, 2012 edition.

1 comment:

  1. nuff said friend! nice one!

    we have a year to make tings happen before that reunion! many surprises can happen in that time!

    ReplyDelete